Monday, April 16, 2012

2nd Week of Eastertide

April 15, 2012
Second Week of Eastertide
Jesus Appears to Mary
John 20:11-18
"Why Are You Weeping?"

We know the entire Easter story, but Mary didn't know how the story
would end on that early morning when she went to Jesus' tomb. To her
amazement, the stone was rolled away...but even worse, Jesus' body was
gone! Of course Mary would be weeping! Jesus was probably the one
person she knew who loved her completely. And then, not only was
Jesus dead, but his body was missing.

But they weren’t mere humans who asked Mary why she was weeping.
They were "two angels in white" and Jesus himself who asked the
question. They obviously knew something she didn't! Finally, Jesus
spoke her name...then she knew who he was..."Rabboni"...her Great
Master and Teacher.

The refrain of an old favorite hymn describes this moment,
“And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.”

Prayer of Recognition...
Dear God, you know when I am hurting, and you know why I weep.
During times of pain, help me to remember that you are there with
me...that your love is the one thing that is constant in my life. Help me to
be open to your presence, so that like Mary, I can feel the joy of
proclaiming, "I have seen the Lord!"

“When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your
heart, I will let you find me,” says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:13-14

© 2012 Jean Foley.

No comments: