Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Dream House

About a mile or two away from me, is my dream house. It reminds me of an Italian villa with a long driveway leading up to it. If you're not looking for it, it would be easy to drive by and miss it. As for me, the people who live there probably think I'm a stalker, because I have, on occasion, pulled over to the side of the road to look down the drive and admire it. Every time I drive by it, I wish that it was mine! If you live nearby, maybe you know which house I'm talking about.

So, my journal page that I've been working on lately was in response to this dream house of mine. The actual house doesn't look quite like this though. The real house is white, and it has many more windows (and there's a lake in the back, too!).


But, like any art journaling, I've used what's inside my own mind to create this image. I think I chose yellow to show how bright and alive the house is in my mind. I had to put at least one window there, to let some all important light into the house. When I added a door to my house, I realized that there is one thing that is absolutely required in my dream house....it must be filled with love! (good thing I printed out 3 of those same phrases in different sizes...it really made it quite clear to me how important that is!!)

So my original simple intentions to honor my dream house turned out to be much more important than just a house down the street. It opened my eyes to show me what really matters to me in a home....

If I were asked to name the chief benefit of the house, I should say: the house shelters day-dreaming, the house protects the dreamer, the house allows one to dream in peace.
-Gaston Bachelard

5 comments:

DJ said...

Yes, it doesn't matter how many windows or architectural details it has, if it doesn't have LOVE within its walls...
Hope your school year is going well.

Griselda said...

Thanks for walking through my garden...and a wish for you...that you will always have time to water your garden and build your dream house.
Happy creative day to you.
Griselda

DJ said...

Jean,
I'm so excited to hear about your progress toward a dream. It sounds as if you're on your way.
Keep me posted!
Whee~

butterfly woman said...

Hi Jean,
It was so good to have you stop by my blog today. Your words mean so much to me. I believe that we can have whatever we wish for, if the intentions are filled with love!
I love your dream house, I want to walk up to the front door, ring the doorbell and sit down inside with a cup of tea with you.
Someday! Yes, Etsy has been surprisingly good to me lately. Hope your shop is hopping too!
Maybe this year we can get together for real! Let's stay in touch!
Bev

carol l mckenna said...

Jean ~ lovely dream house ~ have a saying on wood in my studio ~ "Wish it, Dream It, Do It!" ~
Also, thanks for your comments on my blog ~ I try to be inspirational to myself as well as others ~ Yes, I agree "eyes" are windows of the soul ~ I am going to work on the Wise Fools eyes this morning ~ then maybe he will come together for me ~ Ya thinK?
Hugs & namaste, Carol (artmusedog)