Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Taking Flight Saga Continues...

Nikki and I are continuing to meet once a week for our Monday Art Night. Our goal is to complete reading Taking Flight by Kelly Rae Roberts and to complete all of the accompanying projects (one per chapter) before the end of summer.

We're both feeling pretty impressed that we've made it through the first three chapters, and we're even staying on schedule! It really makes it easier, and much more fun, to go through this book with a friend. Which just happens to lead into the topic of chapter three: Creating Community.

I was having a tough time deciding what words (if any) to add to my project. After looking through poetry books, scripture verses, favorite Rumi quotes and my own personal collection, it finally hit me...Love One Another. That short three letter phrase that makes all the difference in the world.


The background of this project was made up of notes and cards from friends and/or family.


What a difference in the before and after!!

As I worked on this, I spent a lot of time reflecting on my circle of friends, and I remembered how much of a difference those people have made in my life. I most definitely wouldn't be where I am now without the love and support of friends. So I dedicate this piece to all of those in my life who have taught me how to love and how to be loved! I couldn't have made it without you!!

In case you're interested, here are some other quick notes on the creative process for this piece: The two figures were created from polymer clay that was imprinted with a hand carved linoleum block. The center heart was created from a technique in Kelly Rae's book - we used floral foam, plaster and some other secret ingredients :) The bird's body is formed from polymer clay as well as the letters on the twig. The wings of the bird and the leaves on the twig are bisque fired hand formed ceramic pieces. And the twig is from my neighbor's Corkscrew Willow Tree. Thank you Denny :) Needless to say, I'm definitely enjoying working in mixed media!!

Till next time...

No comments: